Recipe - A festive chocolate pie oozing with salted caramel
Posted on December 22nd 2014
So my first recipe post, and I thought I would start with something thoroughly naughty! A bit of an invention that happened this weekend and a very chocolate-ty one at that; A chocolate and salted caramel mouse pie (sorry I know the name needs work!)
Serves: 12-18 (slices are small but that's all you will want!)
Time: 2 days, but worth it believe me.
Calorie counter: I have no idea, it is very very bad!!!
Shelf life: Don't leave it hanging around more than 3/4 days.
50g light brown sugar
200g digestive biscuits
50g salted butter
125g Full fat cream cheese
200g Mascarpone cheese
125ml whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 teaspoons cocoa powder
2 tablespoons icing sugar
200g dark chocolate (at least 70% coco)
100g salted butter
100g dark brown sugar
125ml double cream
Chocolate ganache250g dark chocolate
12ml double cream
Decorations - I used edible glitter, sugar balls and made cake lace snowflakes to decorate once I had swirled in some white melted candy melts.
THE HOW TO...
1. Grease the sides and line the base of a 25cm cake tin (Push release styles work the best or those with a loose bottom)
2. In a medium sized pan melt the sugar and butter on a low heat and break the biscuits into breadcrumbs. Once the butter and sugar are completely melted together, mix in the biscuits until completed coated.
3. Press the biscuits into the base and up the sides of your tin and place in the fridge to set.
The yummy filling:
1. Melt the chocolate in a pyrex bowl and set aside to cool.
2. Using an electric hand whisk, whisk the whipping cream until sloppy soft peaks form.
3. In another bowl beat the vanilla essence, cream cheese, mascarpone cheese, icing sugar and cocoa powder together until combined (don't over beat or it will all become runny).
4. Next beat in the cooled melted chocolate until thoroughly combined and then using a metal spoon fold in the whipped cream.
5. Spread the mix into the cake tin over the biscuit base and set in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
The creamy caramel:
1. Heat all the ingredients in a small pan, stirring constantly until thoroughly melted and combined (smells heavenly!)
2. Remove from the heat and leave on the side to cool until room temperature.
3. Then pour over the top of your chocolate mouse filled tin and put back in the fridge to set overnight.
The finish line:
1.In the morning, melt your cream and chocolate together in the microwave stirring every 30 seconds until smooth and glossy.
2. Pour over the top of the caramel and spread to the sides. Decorate straight away and then pop back in the fridge to chill. You can enjoy in about 4 hours!!
Decorations - I used edible glitter, sugar balls and made cake lace snowflakes to decorate once I had swirled in some melted white candy melts.
Enjoy! Let me know what you think and if you have a go let me know how you get on!
The Sugared Rose x